[GOAL] Re: Quo vadere?

Stevan Harnad amsciforum at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 15:23:30 GMT 2016

On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 6:15 PM, Christian Gutknecht <
christian.gutknecht at bluewin.ch> wrote:

> Stevan,
>
> I guess the record in RoarMap about the policy of the University of Zurich
> is not correct at that point. The deposition of at least the metadata of a
> publication in the IR is required to get included in the annual report,
> which is the foundation of research evaluation.

That is of no use whatsoever for OA. It is mere record-keeping. What must
be deposited immediately is the full text, because (1) that is what creates
the systematic universal practice of immediate self-archiving and (2) that
is what allows the repository's request-a-copy Button to provide
immediate-Almost-OA (the author willing).

It’s however correct that the distinction of of the accessibility on ZORA
> (Fulltext freely available or not) is not part of the research evaluation.
> But I do not know any university that only counts publications that are
> freely available at the repository.

Again, the requirement is that the full-text be immediately deposited, not
that it be immediately OA. And there is a growing number of institutions
and funders that are adopting this optimal policy
<https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=-X-KVvfkGMeC8QfMwKKgDw&gws_rd=ssl#q=harnad+optimal+mandate+immediate>,
called the "Liège model
<https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=-X-KVvfkGMeC8QfMwKKgDw&gws_rd=ssl#q=%22liege+model%22+open+access>."
See for example the U Liège policy <http://roarmap.eprints.org/94/> as well
as the HEFCE/REF policy in ROARMAP.

> Also counting records where the full text is restricted but only available
> with a request-a-copy button as Almost-OA on the same level as OA is not
> valid for me. With „Request a copy“ there’s always a certain chance that
> you never will get the full text. Especially for older records you cannot
> expect the author to answer your request, because he/she may already have
> left the university.

As noted, there are two objectives of the immediate-deposit mandate: (1) To
get all authors into the systematic habit of depositing their full test
immediately upon acceptance for publication and (2) to provide Almost-OA
via the Button for embargoed deposits during the embargo.

And, with all due respect, the purpose of the mandate is not to be valid
"for you" or for me or for anyone, but to reach 100% immediate-OA as
quickly as possible, for all institutional refereed research output.

The Button is a compromise to make the most of deposits that (foolishly)
elect to comply with publisher OA embargoes. It is then up to authors to
decide whether and when to provide requested copies (with one click). Those
scholarly practices will of course evolve, and they will evolve in the
direction of providing OA. For now, the fundamental hurdle to overcome
(universally) is *immediate deposit*. That done, all the rest (the collapse
of subscriptions and embargoes, downsizing and conversion to fair-gold fees
for peer review alone, CC-BY) will all take care of itself
<http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2014/04/28/inflated-subscriptions-unsustainable-harnad/>,
easily and naturally, of its own accord (including the release of older
records!).

> Regarding the suggested approach of Jan to charge authors publishing in
> subscription journals, I think this would be a bad option. Any requirement
> that tells authors where to publish (even indirectly by imposing charges)
> will be rejected as a not tolerable influence of the academic freedom. I
> mean some academics already protesting with this argument, if the
> university requires them to make their full text available on the IR.

Constraints on journal choice, i.e., on where authors may publish (and
especially constraints based on the publisher's economic model rather than
its quality) are most definitely violations of academic freedom.

But the requirement to deposit the digital full text immediately upon
acceptance (not necessarily as OA), regardless of where it is published, is
most definitely not a violation of academic freedom, any more than the
requirement to publish-or-perish is.

The (very common) conflation of these two things is just one of many
examples of the astonishingly muddy and careless thinking of the academic
community on the subject of OA (and no doubt on many other subjects!)

> But I really like the idea to let researchers feel that subscription is an
> outdated model. And an easy way to do that without upsetting them too much,
> is to cancel subscriptions and get rid of the Big Deals. With the free
> money the library then can create two kind of funds: One is the Gold OA
> fund (incl. hybrid options but with a cap) and one is the fund for costs
> resulting getting access to documents that are not longer available via
> subscription (like costs for pay-per-view, document delivery, individual
> subscription of a really important journal).. Because librarians constantly
> overestimate the importance of their subscriptions and especially the Big
> Deals where they buy/rent a lot of stuff that is never used by their
> community. I think most libraries would find out that researchers would get
> along quite well with this option

Christian, I strongly suggest that you look into the actual costs of such a
proposal (replacing subscriptions by pay-to-view costs, per paper).

We are in the online era, when scholars are accustomed to reaching content
immediately with one click, and browsing it to see whether it's even worth
reading. A scholar may look at dozens of papers a day this way. That's what
they do with their institutional licensed content. You are imagining
(without any data at all) that the cost of doing this via pay-per-view, at
the usual $30 or so per paper, would amount to less cost for an institution
than its current licensing costs.

Please repeat this proposal once you have done the arithmetic and have the
evidence. (It won't be enough to find out the license costs and the
pay-per-view costs. You will also have to monitor the daily usage, per
discipline, of a sufficient representative sample of researchers.
Until then, subscription cancellation is not an option for institutions
today. (But with universal immediate-deposit
<http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2014/04/28/inflated-subscriptions-unsustainable-harnad/>
it will be.)

As Thomas mentioned it’s really easy these days to get to the papers by
> simply asking the author. Also Researchgate and academia.edu close the
> gap where IRs fail to provide access.

The ease and immediacy of online access to which institutional authors are
now accustomed is for *licensed (+ OA) content*. Find the actual  user data
for *unlicensed, non-OA* content. And prepare to discover that
copy-requests -- for which you have expressed pessimism when they are
Button-based -- may turn out to be much less immediate or reliable if they
must be mediated by email address search and waiting to see whether the
author responds then when they are requested. With immediate deposit and
the Button, the request is just one click for the user and one for the
author...

The advantage in this approach is that libraries clearly set the incentive
> to Gold OA without the need of additional budget. It doesn’t say, don’t
> publish in subscription journals, it’s just says that subscription is
> something that isn't supported by default anymore. And changing the default
> really can make the difference, as there will immediate (Hybrid) Gold OA.

It seems to me that you, too, are in favour of constraining authors'
journal choice, based on economics rather than quality, though you
(rightly) consider it a violation of academic freedom if done one way, yet
(incoherently) not if done the other way...

To be honest, I rather have a flip RIGHT NOW with the existing "grotesquely
> inflated total expenditure“, then going on like this for years where we
> spend the money anyway to the Closed Access publishers and get nothing in
> return. It’s not that I’m not concerned about the costs in the Gold OA
> world. But the current situation is with the subscription business is
> already so bad, it can’t get worse.

The trouble is not only that such a "flip" is inconceivable (given that the
world has P publishers publishing Ji journals each, and I institutions,
subscribing to Jj journals each, making the "flip" an oligopolistic Escher
impossible-figure of multiple providers and multiple user-institutions),
but for reasons that are evident upon just a little reflection, even
on the counterfactual
miracle premise
<https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=8I2KVre3JIeN8QfaipeIAg&gws_rd=ssl#q=McNopoly+harnad>
of a global "flip" it would all immediately be destabilized because of
institutional defections, flopping soon after it flipped.

But yes, for what it's worth, a redistribution of the current institutional
expenditure on subscriptions in exchange for Gold OA at the same price
would certainly be better than the status quo -- if only it weren't an
unsustainable counterfactual fantasy.

In contrast, universally mandated immediate-deposit (plus Green OA and
Almost-OA via the Button) generating subscription collapse and sustainable
fair-gold is not a fantasy but a viable practical agenda.

PS: Okay, it can get worse: Paying for Hybrid Gold and keeping the
> subscriptions like it’s currently done in UK is really not sustainable. But
> that was clear from the beginning. Maybe it becomes better when offsetting
> agreements are set in place.

All just unreflective and unrealistic fantasy, I'm afraid. Apparently it
will be reality (rather than heeding archivangelists) that sets us on a
viable path to the optimal. inevitable outcome of fair gold, sooner or
later...

Your Weary Archivangelist

Am 03.01.2016 um 18:31 schrieb Stevan Harnad <amsciforum at GMAIL.COM