[GOAL] Re: Open Access Mandates: Q&A with the NIH

Reckling, Falk, Dr. Falk.Reckling at fwf.ac.at
Mon May 21 10:41:43 BST 2012

Dear Stevan,

Many thanks for clarifying your position. But I see no need for your schoolmasterish tone, especially as it contradicts your demand for "... showing some open-mindedness, flexibility and reflection ..." and less rigidity.

I say that because I have learnt from this and other fora, from different studies and funders policies that your position is highly appreciated but other positions and approaches are also discussed.

(1) Before making a final judgment from a rather general perspective, please consult what happens in Austria and especially at the FWF since 2004:

- The development of our OA policy is described in a policy paper published in February 2012: http://www.fwf.ac.at/en/public_relations/oai/free-research-needs-the-free-circulation-of-ideas.html

- All major actions of the FWF since 2004 are publicly listed here: http://www.fwf.ac.at/de/public_relations/oai/oa-news.html (sorry, most of them written in German).

(2) Sometimes it makes sense listing to the daily problems of OA policies and its environment:

(a) As you might know the FWF mandated Green OA in 2006, see: http://www.fwf.ac.at/en/public_relations/oai/index.html. But we became aware that this policy has its limits:

- In 2006 no Austrian institution had a mandate or an IR. Today only some Austrian institutions have an IR but no one has an OA mandate. Moreover, it often not clear what kind of materials should be deposited and what not:

Repositories: http://roar.eprints.org/cgi/roar_search/advanced?location_country=at&software=&type=&order=-recordcount%2F-date

Mandates: http://roarmap.eprints.org/view/geoname/geoname=5F2=5FAT.html

By organizing a nationwide network we now try to tackle these problems.

(b) At the same time, we noted that a lot of Austrian scholars were/are voluntarily willing to deposit their articles in central disciplinary repositories like arxiv, Repec, SSRN, Citeseer or PMC.

(c) With BMC, PLoS and others the need for covering APC arose. And we found it useful to support an alternative business model, as other renown institutions did, see: http://www.oacompact.org/ ,

(d) I do not agree with your position that Gold OA is costly and Green OA is nearly for free. In practice, Green OA costs a lot of time and money for creating repositories, establishing mandates,  having well-informed supporting staff, interpreting publishers policies,  advising researchers, depositing papers, e.g.

That might give you some reasons why we find, for example, that UKPMC offers a very good option to solve some these problems: an existing and highly excepted repository, clear guidelines for the PIs, great technical support, e.g., see: http://www.fwf.ac.at/de/public_relations/oai/pubmed.pdf

Finally, we see no contradiction to support both Green and Gold the same time, but we think in the end a change of the business model should be envisaged.

All the best,

Falk