[GOAL] Re: Open Access Mandates: Q&A with the NIH

Reckling, Falk, Dr. Falk.Reckling at fwf.ac.at
Sat May 19 19:17:43 BST 2012

Just on UKPMC:
- a the moment around 50% is Green and around 50% is Gold or Hybrid Gold
- from the Gold papers 1/3 is real Gold and 2/3 is Hybrid Gold
- Stevan, as you might know, major publishers as Elsevier or Wiley do not allow Green at UKPMC

No, we have not too much money but our practise says:

(a) PMC/UKPMC is by far the most accepted repository in the Life Sciences
(b) Researchers are much more willing to deposit their papers in PMC/UKPMC as in institutional repositories (that's rather annoying for most of them).

We also see some benefits for funders by the hybrid mode:
- a central and highly accepted repository of peer-reviewed article
- very high visibility by PMC/UKPMC
- text and data mining options
- deposition by the publishers
- data quality (correct acknowledgements of funders, e.g.)

On the other side, we see that this funding model cannot sustainable in the long run. Therefore, we try our best to develop our policy further.

All the best,
Falk