[EP-tech] setup ssl eprints

Yuri yurj at alfa.it
Tue Jan 23 16:10:21 GMT 2018

Eprints 3.3.15

This: https://wiki.eprints.org/w/How_to_use_EPrints_with_HTTPS

does not work, I get redirect always to http if I don't set the secure
path. If I set the secure path, I get to https login but all the links
then point to http. Login redirects me again to login. Also
generate_apacheconf does not generate any virtual host for https but just:

===

#
# secure.conf include file for researchdata
#
# Any changes made here will be lost if you run generate_apacheconf
# with the --replace option
#

   <Location "">
     PerlSetVar EPrints_ArchiveID researchdata
     PerlSetVar EPrints_Secure yes

     Options +ExecCGI
     <IfModule mod_authz_core.c>
        Require all granted
     </IfModule>
     <IfModule !mod_authz_core.c>
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
     </IfModule>
   </Location>
===

So I've found that you've to use the default ssl config of apache, and
add there a

Include /usr/share/eprints3/cfg/apache_ssl.conf

and now it mostly works. The strange think is that some links are as
http, and when you  click on it, the server issue a Location: https to
the same address...

One issue is on login, it points to http instead of https. How can I
change it to go directly to https, so my credentials are not exposed in
the network? Is there a simple and recent guide about setting https on
eprints? Thanks.