[EP-tech] 2.3.13 -> 3.3.14

Matthew Kerwin matthew at kerwin.net.au
Tue Oct 10 20:53:03 BST 2017


Yeah, this has the added benefit that you can use the 'replacedby'  field
to populate the new 'succeeds'  field with a bit of database voodoo.

Cheers

On 11 Oct. 2017 01:03, "Alan.Stiles" <alan.stiles at open.ac.uk> wrote:

Not sure about the missing file thing at the moment, but you could surmount
the XML faffing by adding the replacedby field to the eprint fields for the
duration of the import, then remove it again once everything was happy?

-----Original Message-----
From: eprints-tech-bounces at ecs.soton.ac.uk [mailto:eprints-tech-bounces@
ecs.soton.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Mark Muldoon
Sent: 10 October 2017 15:42
To: eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: [EP-tech] 2.3.13 -> 3.3.14

Dear EP-techers,

I’m upgrading an ancient server to the current version of the software.
Following advice I found on this list, I’ve been using  the following
strategy

> Do the export of the 2.x version including archive, user, subjects and
subscriptions (if possible - there was a patch back in the day for this I
believe - may or not be worth it now) in ep3xml format. Copy the
documents/disk0 folder over to the new system (use the same folder location
or you'll have to munge your XML as the 'eprints' import actually looks for
the file to exist in the location indicated in the XML) and import into the
3.x version of EPrints. Don't kill off your old server until you are done
as this is a rinse and repeat process until you get everything perfect on
your new 3.x server.

This has worked to some extent, though I did, in the end, have to faff with
the XML to get the rid of a field, <replacedby>, that no longer exists and
to make the paths point to the correct locations on the new server.
Unfortunately, the actual files, though present, don’t seem to be entirely
visible to the server. For example, although I have a PDF whose full path is

/usr/share/eprints3/archives/mims3/documents/disk0/00/00/
00/01/01/03PA0357.pdf

and an associated eprint that has, in its revisions document 1.xml, a
<file> with child node

<url>http://eprints.maths.manchester.ac.uk/1/1/03PA0357.pdf</url>

the corresponding abstract page lists the PDF as being 0 Mb in size and,
when I try to retrieve it I get

Error in file retrieval: failed to get file contents

It feels as though I’m within inches of having the import working fully and
don’t really want to have to study the code to figure out how to fix the
issue described above. I’d be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks,
Mark

*** Options: http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/eprints-tech
*** Archive: http://www.eprints.org/tech.php/
*** EPrints community wiki: http://wiki.eprints.org/
*** EPrints developers Forum: http://forum.eprints.org/
-- The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an
exempt charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC
038302). The Open University is authorised and regulated by the Financial
Conduct Authority in relation to its secondary activity of credit broking.

*** Options: http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/eprints-tech
*** Archive: http://www.eprints.org/tech.php/
*** EPrints community wiki: http://wiki.eprints.org/
*** EPrints developers Forum: http://forum.eprints.org/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/pipermail/eprints-tech/attachments/20171011/9a62ed87/attachment-0001.html 


More information about the Eprints-tech mailing list