[EP-tech] Issue when saving records
J.Salter at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jun 19 12:07:10 BST 2017
The Subject screen usually has some form of 'Search for subject' input, as well as the accordion-style subject browser.
I suspect this is somehow broken.
There may be more information in the Apache error logs (assuming the error message below was being presented in the web interface).
Take a look at the workflow stage for Subjects. The default is:
<component type="Field::Subject"><field ref="subjects" required="yes" /></component>
The Field::Subject component is located in:
It may be that you are using a different component (the 'type' would be different - alternatives could be in e.g. [eprints_root]/lib/plugins/EPrints/Plugin/InputForm/Component/Field/SomeOtherSubjectModule.pm), or that there is some config wrong.
It could also be down to permissions to search the subject dataset (or even subjects being missing!).
I hope that gets you started - you know where we are if you need more input! :o)
PS This is the kind of process I normally go through to debug this kind of thing:
1. The error message must be defined somewhere. Try and work out what parts of the message are generic (e.g. 'does not know how to process' from message below), and which parts are specific to the issue ('EPrint::Edit' from below).
2. Try to find the non-specific text in the code/phrase files (grep is your friend!). Try (from eprints root directory):
> grep -r 'does not know how to process' perl_lib lib
3. In this case, a phrase is found in system.xml: lib/lang/en/phrases/system.xml:
<epp:phrase id="Plugin/Screen:unknown_action">This screen (<epc:pin name="screen"/>) does not know how to process this action: <epc:pin name="action"/>.</epp:phrase>
4. Take the last part of the phrase id ('unknown_action' in this case), and grep perl modules for it:
> grep -r 'unknown_action' perl_lib lib
5. This will show you which perl modules/methods may be creating this error message. In this case, it's EPrints::Plugin::Screen::from
6. This should get you to a point where you have much less EPrints code to consider. The specific details in the error message allow you to then refine this further - alongside the module that actually generates the message. Again, using this problem as an example, EPrint::Edit is a screen, and the 'from' method calls the method above
... does some stuff - and returns
...or does some other stuff - and returns
...or calls $self->EPrints::Plugin::Screen::from (which generates the error message you're seeing).
7. This gets you to a point where you might be able to see what's going on (or more importantly what's not going on). There's always a bit more thinking to do - specific to your configuration, but this should get you closer to where you need to be!
From: eprints-tech-bounces at ecs.soton.ac.uk [mailto:eprints-tech-bounces at ecs.soton.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Andrew Beeken
Sent: 19 June 2017 11:04
To: eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: [EP-tech] Issue when saving records
I'm implementing a few changes to our reborn repository but as I'm doing so I'm finding a few things are coming undone. The current issue I'm having is on moving from the Details to Subjects screen on creating a new record; I'm getting an error:
This screen (EPrint::Edit) does not know how to process this action: search.
Any idea where to look to start debugging this?
The University of Lincoln, located in the heart of the city of Lincoln, has established an international reputation based on high student satisfaction, excellent graduate employment and world-class research.
The information in this e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately and remove it from your system. Do not disclose the contents to another person or take copies.
Email is not secure and may contain viruses. The University of Lincoln makes every effort to ensure email is sent without viruses, but cannot guarantee this and recommends recipients take appropriate precautions.
The University may monitor email traffic data and content in accordance with its policies and English law. Further information can be found at: http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/legal.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Eprints-tech