[EP-tech] Correct EPrints Export/Import syntax and issues
anbeeken at lincoln.ac.uk
Tue Jan 31 11:06:00 GMT 2017
Yes, I'm running these while sat in the /bin folder - probably should have been more specific ;P
I'll give that more specific export a try and see what happens.
From: eprints-tech-bounces at ecs.soton.ac.uk [mailto:eprints-tech-bounces at ecs.soton.ac.uk] On Behalf Of John Salter
Sent: 31 January 2017 10:24
To: eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: Re: [EP-tech] Correct EPrints Export/Import syntax and issues
Should you be calling '~/bin/export' and '~/bin/import'?
'export' is a different unix command entirely (as is 'import')!
If you're calling the right thing, I'd suggest trying to export a single item using:
> bin/export ARCHIVEID eprint XML 1
This *should* export eprint #1 - if this doesn't exist, try another one!
From: eprints-tech-bounces at ecs.soton.ac.uk<mailto:eprints-tech-bounces at ecs.soton.ac.uk> [mailto:eprints-tech-bounces at ecs.soton.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Andrew Beeken
Sent: 31 January 2017 09:55
To: eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk<mailto:eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Subject: [EP-tech] Correct EPrints Export/Import syntax and issues
Right, I've been trying to get my head around the back end import/export routine for EPrints.
Exporting from our current live box generates an xml file for me, however the xml file is empty. I've left this running to see if it would populate in the background but this never seems to happen. The command I'm running is:
export <MYARCHIVE> archive XML > filename.xml
As this hasn't been working I decided to take an image from the front end by doing a search and extracting the results as EPrints XML. I don't know if that is affecting the next step!
On Import to a local Virtual Machine with EPrints set up I've tried a couple of things. The syntax I'm using is:
import <MYARCHIVE> --verbose --enable-import-fields --update --force archive XML filename.xml
Running this as the eprints user in this environment throws this error:
No protocol specified
Import.im6: unable to open X server ':0' @ error/import.c/ImportImageCommand/368.
The "no protocol specified" error, on some Googling, suggests that the eprints user does not have sufficient rights to run this command. So I decided to run it with a sudo. This results in the box sitting there and doing nothing - no output, nothing happening in EPrints. I have to force quite to get any response.
So, I'm at a lose end with this! Am I doing something wrong in both of these cases? Any suggestions would be most welcome!
The University of Lincoln, located in the heart of the city of Lincoln, has established an international reputation based on high student satisfaction, excellent graduate employment and world-class research.
The information in this e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately and remove it from your system. Do not disclose the contents to another person or take copies.
Email is not secure and may contain viruses. The University of Lincoln makes every effort to ensure email is sent without viruses, but cannot guarantee this and recommends recipients take appropriate precautions.
The University may monitor email traffic data and content in accordance with its policies and English law. Further information can be found at: http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/legal.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Eprints-tech