[EP-tech] Database migration: display a 503 message

John Salter J.Salter at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Mar 14 16:33:49 GMT 2016

Hi,
I've been doing a bit of database migration today (between mysql versions more than 2 major releases apart - so I couldn't just setup a replication).

I've written some instructions about how to make a repository respond with a 503 (Service unavailable) status, and show a human-friendly message at the same time:
https://wiki.eprints.org/w/Display_a_custom_response_during_downtime

If anyone wants to review it / comment on it, please do.
It seems to work OK on 3.3.10 - and I can't see why it wouldn't work OK on other versions.
The main question I have is how Apache versions might change the code needed to allow a certain IP through. Any thoughts on this welcome!

Cheers,
John