[EP-tech] Re: Suggested changes to EPrints 3 in 2016

Patrick McSweeney pm5 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Feb 4 19:14:06 GMT 2016

Hi Tomasz,

Yes sorry about the code formatting on the wiki, using <pre> tag is a bad a
bad habbit i should get out of. In future I will endeavour to use syntax
highlighting.

Broadly the intention of the change would be to try and simplify the
objects in eprints and also start us on the road to rationalising the XML
configuration files.

Currently phrase templates and citations are all subtly different
implementations of templating in EPrints. That said we could rationalise
the templating without moving the rendering into a central location. It has
been suggested on github has been that maybe we should start thinking about
how to start retiring the various EPC configuration in favour of XSLT which
is less bespoke to eprints and would probably perform better. I guess i
felt this was a big problem to tackle and maybe rationalising rendering
might help make it less intimidating.

There is definitely an argument for leaving rendering where it is which i
was hoping might get discussed on this thread.  Moving something as
fundamental as rendering is a strategic change which I dont want to make
without knowing some people support it. I have asked Jiadi to comment on
this in his capacity as lead developer and he has said he will once he has
had time to consider the implications.

Ultimately having a roadmap seems to be a popular idea so I am glad that is
in the open. If I only have one good EPrints related idea this year than
I'm happy for it to be that. So far no one has complained about me adding
unit tests to things either :-)

Kind regards
Patrick