[EP-tech] corrupt xapian DB

jens.vieler at id.uzh.ch jens.vieler at id.uzh.ch
Wed Aug 17 08:20:32 BST 2016

Dear list,

we actually run in problems with our xapian DB. xapian-check from
http://rpm.eprints.org/xapian/6/x86_64/ runs into a "DatabaseCorruptError":

$ /usr/bin/xapian-check /usr/local/eprints/archives/_reponame_/var/xapian/
record:
baseA blocksize=8K items=243669 lastblock=996 revision=20062 levels=2
root=883
/usr/bin/xapian-check: DatabaseCorruptError: Db block overwritten - are
there multiple writers?
$

To fix this,
https://xapian.org/docs/admin_notes.html#fixing-corrupted-databases
recommends a

 xapian-check /path/to/database F

but the rpm from eprints is not that 'up to date' - and there is no "F"
Option.

I found a hint in a Mailinglist: "Very recent versions of xapian-check (1.3
+?) have an option F to attempt to repair the database." I think ours is
1.2x.

What do you suggest, how to fix it? Any other 'tricks' to save and repair
the DB? Or rebuild the DB and how?

Any help is welcome.
Kind Regards
 Jens