[EP-tech] Copy live EPrints to staging server
Adam.Field at jisc.ac.uk
Mon Apr 25 13:43:20 BST 2016
1) install a fresh copy of EPrints and configure it to work on the dev server (to make sure all prerequisites are ship-shape). It'll make things simpler if you use the same database name, username and password as the live repository. Test that you can raise it in a browser, log in, create a record, etc. There's a training video for this.
2) Dump the live database into the EPrint tree somewhere (perhaps <eprints_root>/archives/<foo>/db_dump/<timestamped_filename>.mysqldump)
3) Create an tarball of the EPrints tree (tar cvzf live_eprints<datestamp>.tar.gz <eprints_root>)
4) Copy the tarball to dev
5) tar xvzf the file to somewhere appropriate, check file permissions for the apache user on dev
6) undump the database dump (cat filename | mysql -u username -p) -- easy if you have used the same username and password as all the permissions are set up. Still easy if you didn't and know how to create users and set permissions in mysql.
7) edit the 10_core.pl file in the archive directory to use the URL of the dev server. Then run generate apacheconf (I think with the --replace flag, but that's from memory).
8) Change your apache configuration to point to where you unpacked the eprint tree.
9) restart apache.
10) Debug the above process and document it on the wiki.
11) Think about getting your repository into source control to make this easier.
SHERPA services analyst developer
From: <eprints-tech-bounces at ecs.soton.ac.uk<mailto:eprints-tech-bounces at ecs.soton.ac.uk>> on behalf of Andrew Beeken <anbeeken at lincoln.ac.uk<mailto:anbeeken at lincoln.ac.uk>>
Reply-To: "eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk<mailto:eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk>" <eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk<mailto:eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk>>
Date: Monday, 25 April 2016 12:47
To: "eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk<mailto:eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk>" <eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk<mailto:eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk>>
Subject: [EP-tech] Copy live EPrints to staging server
I’m trying to bring our live EPrints install over to a staging server to do some work on it, but I’m struggling to do this in an elegant way. What’s the best approach? I tried bringing the archive files down and repopulating the database; there are also a few core changes to our install in Perl-Lib which need bringing down however most times I pull all these across and restart apache it screws things over. I’m pretty sure I need to tweak some config settings and possibly run a few things from the command line but I was wondering if anyone could digest the procedure for me or point me in the direction of one if it’s already been written!
The University of Lincoln, located in the heart of the city of Lincoln, has established an international reputation based on high student satisfaction, excellent graduate employment and world-class research.
The information in this e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately and remove it from your system. Do not disclose the contents to another person or take copies.
Email is not secure and may contain viruses. The University of Lincoln makes every effort to ensure email is sent without viruses, but cannot guarantee this and recommends recipients take appropriate precautions.
The University may monitor email traffic data and content in accordance with its policies and English law. Further information can be found at: http://lincoln.ac.uk/legal.
Jisc is a registered charity (number 1149740) and a company limited by guarantee which is registered in England under Company No. 5747339, VAT No. GB 197 0632 86. Jisc’s registered office is: One Castlepark, Tower Hill, Bristol, BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.
Jisc Services Limited is a wholly owned Jisc subsidiary and a company limited by guarantee which is registered in England under company number 2881024, VAT number GB 197 0632 86. The registered office is: One Castle Park, Tower Hill, Bristol BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 1264 bytes
Url : http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/pipermail/eprints-tech/attachments/20160425/99c272f8/attachment-0001.png
More information about the Eprints-tech