[EP-tech] Re: Shibboleth/SAML and ePrints 3.3.x

David R Newman drn at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Apr 22 09:08:08 BST 2015

Hi Matt,

I work for EPrints Services and have recently setup Shibboleth login for
a number of institutional repositories we host.  I have been updating
some internal documentation we have for this but I would need to rework
this documentation before making it public as it contains customer
specific information.

As you may be aware, setting up EPrints as a Shibboleth Service Provider
would never be as straightforward as just installing a plugin, even if
one existed, as a lot of the configuration needs to be modified in the
Shibboleth Service Provider application itself (usually to be found
under /etc/shibboleth/).  Also a large chunk of effort is registering
the Shibboleth Identity Provider(s) you want to use with your Service
Provider and the getting that/those Identity Provider(s) to register
your EPrints  Shibboleth Service Provider.  That said, is should be
possible to provide as a plugin the bare bones needed for EPrints
Shibboleth setup/configuration, so someone can get EPrints ready to
support Shibboleth, once the non-EPrints Shibboleth Service Provider
configuration is ready.

As Alen describes on his GitHub repo,
http://wiki.eprints.org/w/Webserver_authentication#Add_the_login_script
gives a good overview of the EPrints configuration needed if you know
how to do the Shibboleth side of the configuration but there really
needs to be a wiki page to walk you through the whole configuration
EPrints + Shibboleth.  This also needs to be somethng easy to find on
the wiki when you search for Shibboleth.

Could you tell me with Operating System (OS) you are using, as if I get
a chance to start working on a EPrints Shibboleth setup page pn the
wiki, I will try to tailor it to this OS initially.

Regards

David Newman
EPrints Services