[EP-tech] Re: Need to specify port, username and password for SMTP authentication

Lizz Jennings e.jennings at bath.ac.uk
Wed Mar 26 12:35:02 GMT 2014

I was struggling with this just this week, but found instead I could use
another SMTP server that was more suited to this kind of email. I made
these changes:

Edit: /usr/share/eprints/perl_lib/EPrints/SystemSettings.pm

'smtp_server' => '*my.smtp.server*',

Edit: /usr/share/eprints/perl_lib/EPrints/Email.pm

my $smtp = Net::SMTP->new( $smtphost*, **Hello => 'my.eprints.domain' *);
(which is the bit just before where you put your username and password,
I'm afraid I don't have line numbers to hand)

Not sure that will help in your case, but it worked for me.

Lizz

On 25/03/2014 16:36, Jacob Wenzel wrote:
> I have EPrints v3.3.12 running in Ubuntu server 10.04.
>
> Everything seems to be working but email. Am I able to specify port,
> username and password for smtp authentication anywhere in the EPrints
> configuration files?
>
> I can't figure out how to get an smtp server running on my own VPS, so
> I have opened an account on mandrill.com to be able to use their smtp
> server, but I need to pass on username and password and connect
> through port 587.
>
> I've searched a bit and tried fiddling with some hack suggested for
> EPrints 2, but without luck. What I have tried:
>
> *'smtp_server' => 'smtp.mandrillapp.com:587',*
>
> in "/usr/share/eprints3/perl_lib/EPrints/SystemSettings.pm"
>
> and
>
> *$smtp->auth( 'username','password' );*
>
> on line 167 of "/usr/share/eprints3/perl_lib/EPrints/Email.pm" (Of
> course with the real username and passwords)
>
> I'm sorry if this has been answered somewhere before, I've found
> several people with the problem, but none with the solution.
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> /Jacob

Technical Data Officer
Ext. 3570 (External 01225 383570)