[EP-tech] Re: remote_ip via package "Apache2::Connection"

Sebastien Francois sf2 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Mar 12 11:38:54 GMT 2014

David,

See
http://www.marshut.com/ippzhs/problem-with-apache2-connection-remote-ip.html
and http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/developer/new_api_2_4.html (search
for "remote_ip").

|conn_rec->remote_ip|and|conn_rec->remote_addr|
    These fields have been renamed in order to distinguish between the
    client IP address of the connection and the useragent IP address of
    the request (potentially overridden by a load balancer or proxy).
    References to either of these fields must be updated with one of the
    following options, as appropriate for the module:

      * When you require the IP address of the user agent, which might
        be connected directly to the server, or might optionally be
        separated from the server by a transparent load balancer or
        proxy,
        use|request_rec->useragent_ip|and|request_rec->useragent_addr|.
      * When you require the IP address of the client that is connected
        directly to the server, which might be the useragent or might be
        the load balancer or proxy itself,
        use|conn_rec->client_ip|and|conn_rec->client_addr|.

It seems like it should use useragent_ip now. But we need to support
either versions of apache2/mod_perl so will have to test for remote_ip's
existence then useragent_ip.

I've now created that ticket:
https://github.com/eprints/eprints/issues/214 & thanks for reporting
that issue.