[EP-tech] Re: UTF-8 issues on BibTeX import?

Ian Stuart Ian.Stuart at ed.ac.uk
Mon Mar 10 11:24:39 GMT 2014

On 10/03/14 11:02, Andrew Beeken wrote:
> Me again!
>
> Another issue that has been flagged up by our admin users is that a
> BibTeX import will fall over when it encounters accented characters
> in an author name. I’ve already flagged a problem with UTF-8 encoding
> in output in another email and I’m wondering if there is a similar
> fix here?

Something to consider (I fell over this) is that web servers have a
tendency to not actually sent UTF-8, even when you ask them to....

I have a script that wouldn't render the name of some Dutch university
correctly..... but when I added in the name of a chinese one, it was fine.

It was a blinkin' NIGHTMARE to figure out.... and in the end I bypassed
the EPrints output, and just "printed" directly, with the line

    binmode(STDOUT, ":utf8");

in my code.

--

Ian Stuart.
EDINA,

http://edina.ac.uk/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.