[EP-tech] Re: Assistance with eprints 2 options

Sebastien Francois sf2 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Feb 21 15:45:53 GMT 2014

Hi Michael,

The "export3data.pl" script included in the migration toolkit will
generate EPrints3 XML from your EPrints2 repository. It won't change
anything, it just generates XML so this won't break anything.

Have a go at exporting data to see that the basic mechanisms work.

Then you could set up your new hardware / 3.3 as a test server
(test.the_url_you_want) to run in parallel to your EP2 repository to
allow you to test that URLs are preserved and that all the metadata is
imported successfully.

Then on your new shiny EPrints 3.3 there's an import script (bin/import)
that takes EPrints3 XML and that will import your item ID as well as the
metadata (hence will preserve your URLs). You may need to pass special
options to import the item ID's (bin/import --help will tell you).

Let us know how you're getting on.

Of course importing the data is an important step but you may also need
to re-do the branding/templates, etc.

Seb