[EP-tech] Research Data Onion

Christopher Gutteridge cjg at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu May 9 14:41:23 BST 2013

Hi, long time since I've posted on the list, as I now work almost
entirely in the field of open data.

However, this seems to be looping back around to my old haunts as open
research data is a big thing right now.

I've written a blog post about some of my thoughts on the matter...
http://blog.soton.ac.uk/webteam/2013/05/01/research-data-onions-and-envelopes/

the TL;DR is that there's metadata about research data which should be
decided by the researcher/scientists not the repository administrator,
but that it does not need to be stored in the EPrints database, and can
exist as one or more metadata documents uploaded with the dataset.

--
Christopher Gutteridge -- http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/cjg

University of Southampton Open Data Service: http://data.southampton.ac.uk/
You should read the ECS Web Team blog: http://blogs.ecs.soton.ac.uk/webteam/