[EP-tech] Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: IRStats 2 and data security

clyde.cerejo at id.uzh.ch clyde.cerejo at id.uzh.ch
Mon Jun 24 14:51:02 BST 2013

Hi Seb

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards
Clyde

Von:    Sebastien Francois <sf2 at ecs.soton.ac.uk>
An:     eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk,
Datum:  24.06.2013 15:36
Betreff:        [EP-tech] Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: IRStats 2 and data
security
Gesendet von:   eprints-tech-bounces at ecs.soton.ac.uk

Clyde,

On 24/06/13 14:11, clyde.cerejo at id.uzh.ch wrote:
Hi Seb

Yes a user could be an IP Address. I suppose no other identifying
information such as usernames etc are sent. Please correct me if Im wrong.

The IP of the request is kept in the 'access' database table. Nothing is
sent.

As per what you say, only aggregates of country data is sent to the
browser for rendering using the google component, which would mean that it
is not possible to identify individual users. Please confirm. Then it
would be probably be ok for us. However, I still need to discuss this
internally.

That's correct. As I wrote earlier, the IP is converted to a country code
(e.g. FR) and that is stored locally in one of IRStats2 database tables.

If you used a table (like the top 10 requesting countries) then the info
is rendered outside Google altogether.