[EP-tech] Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: IRStats 2 and data security

Sebastien Francois sf2 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jun 24 14:34:39 BST 2013

Clyde,

On 24/06/13 14:11, clyde.cerejo at id.uzh.ch wrote:
> Hi Seb
>
> Yes a user could be an IP Address. I suppose no other identifying
> information such as usernames etc are sent. Please correct me if Im
> wrong.

The IP of the request is kept in the 'access' database table. Nothing is
sent.

> As per what you say, only aggregates of country data is sent to the
> browser for rendering using the google component, which would mean
> that it is not possible to identify individual users. Please confirm.
> Then it would be probably be ok for us. However, I still need to
> discuss this internally.

That's correct. As I wrote earlier, the IP is converted to a country
code (e.g. FR) and that is stored locally in one of IRStats2 database
tables.

If you used a table (like the top 10 requesting countries) then the info
is rendered outside Google altogether.