[EP-tech] Re: IRStats 2 and data security

Sebastien Francois sf2 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jun 24 12:02:14 BST 2013

Hi Clyde,

The following Google Charts are used by IRStats2:

- Area Charts:
https://google-developers.appspot.com/chart/interactive/docs/gallery/areachart
- Column Charts:
https://google-developers.appspot.com/chart/interactive/docs/gallery/columnchart
- Combo Charts:
https://google-developers.appspot.com/chart/interactive/docs/gallery/combochart
- Pie Charts:
https://google-developers.appspot.com/chart/interactive/docs/gallery/piechart

These 4 have the same data policy (look at the bottom of each of the
pages above):

    Data Policy

All code and data are processed and rendered in the browser. No data is
sent to any server.

- Geo Charts:
https://google-developers.appspot.com/chart/interactive/docs/gallery/geochart

That one seems a bit more tricky:
https://google-developers.appspot.com/maps/terms

Note that the Geo map can easily be replaced by a simple table which is
rendered outside Google Charts. Anyway there's a known issue with
EPrints 3.2 and EPrints 3.3 up to 3.3.9 which prevents the Geo Map to
load successfully (clash with Prototype v1.7- fixed in 1.7.1).

The way the code generally works is this way:

- browser loads JS library from Google's servers:
http://www.google.com/jsapi
- local JS code instantiates a Chart and feeds it data
- Chart renders data locally.

For info, tables and other bits of IRStats2 (exporters etc) are rendered
outside Google Charts.

I hope this will help you.

Kind regards,
Seb.