[EP-tech] Repository stats - identifying Academic access

Alan.Stiles Alan.Stiles at open.ac.uk
Thu Jan 17 16:11:07 GMT 2013

Just had a question from our repository user group - can we see what percentage of our repository visitors are from universities vs. elsewhere.
I realise that this could be achieved by some flavour of reverse-ip lookup (if I look up my own ip address it shows 'The Open University' is the ISP so presumably it should do similarly for at least the other UK institutions), but I was wondering if anyone had done anything relating to these sort of stats already or whether anyone knew of a nice handy table of academic domain ip addresses as a head-start in not abusing any reverse lookup services? (duplication of effort and all that good stuff!)

--
Alan Stiles
Digital Repository Developer