[EP-tech] international character search problem

Tommy Ingulfsen tommy at library.caltech.edu
Thu Jan 17 00:46:37 GMT 2013

I may have found a bug in EPrints 3.3.10. One of the authors in our repository is Anıl Zenginoğlu (if the name doesn't come out right in email, his homepage is  http://www.tapir.caltech.edu/~anil/). Searching for the surname works fine with the simple search, but with the advanced search we don't get any results. I believe the problem is with line 230 in perl_lib/EPrints/MetaField/Name.pm:

# remove not a-z characters (except ,)
$v2 =~ s/[^a-z,]/ /ig;

That code splits up "zenginoğlu" to "zengino lu". A possible solution may be

use utf8;
…
…

Maybe someone with a strong encodings-fu can comment?

tommy