[EP-tech] Re: Eprints and ebook readers

Richard M. Davis richard.davis at london.ac.uk
Thu Feb 7 12:37:37 GMT 2013

Hi Antonio

We had a little project running called Anthologizr, with the aim of
developing the kind of system you describe, exporting user-selected
repository contents as a 'zipped up' EPUB ebook.

We have achieved some promising demonstration outcomes, however the
chief blocker to exporting as EPUB is the fact that most repository
contents are in PDF.

We have managed to create acceptable EPUBs where the repository items
are HTML or JPEG, but from PDF we've only managed to extract the very
anti-formatted output that pdf2text provides - fine for indexing but not
for reflowable ebook formatting.

If repository policies stipulated deposit of an HTML or XML version,
creating e-book anthologies from EPrints could become widespread, but as
long as PDF rules the roost, I am not so optimistic.

Let me know if you'd like more info - our project blog is at
http://anthologizr.wordpress.com
There are some plugins though it's fair to say they need still some work
to be ready for general use.

Regards

Richard

--
Richard M. Davis
Manager, Academic & Research Technologies

t: +44 (0) 20 7863 1350
m: +44 (0) 7551 947 610
e: r.davis at ulcc.ac.uk
w: http://www.ulcc.ac.uk/
b: http://dablog.ulcc.ac.uk/
c: http://tinyurl.com/richardscalendar

*Save electrons* "When replying to a message, include enough original
material to be understood but no more." (RFC 1855)

The University of London is an exempt charity in England and Wales
and a charity registered in Scotland (reg. no. SC041194)