[EP-tech] Revision cleaning system

Paolo Tealdi paolo.tealdi at polito.it
Thu Sep 27 17:15:57 BST 2012

Dear all,

trying to use the RemoveRevisions plugin (this one :
http://files.eprints.org/615/ ) i noticed that something was not going
as expected.

After a lot of debugging i saw that in my 3.2.4 eprint repository
purging an eprint didn't clean the revision  records in the file table :
for each eprint now i have toomany records in file table (many pointing
to old files and some to the correct new).

This effect is very big in my repository  because it is readonly : all
records are batch imported, and  before importing every eprint is
deleted (if present)  and freshly imported as new. This action erases
the xml revision files but doesn't delete the appropriated record in the
file table.

I noticed it because i'm testing to migrate to 3.3.10 where i changed
the importing batch, using the --update function of import file.

To resolve the proliferation of such records in file table i modified
the RemoveRevisions plugin to check and possibly remove all those
records in file table that are inconsistent  with  xml revision files .

After having copied the attach in
~/archives/"repository"/cfg/plugins/EPrints/Plugin/Export directory if
you execute

~/bin/export "repository" --verbose archive CheckRevisions

you can do a  check only. If you use the --arg write=1 you delete
inconsistent record in file table, without deleting files in the
revision directory.

Any comment is very welcomed.

Best regards,
Paolo Tealdi

--
Ing. Paolo Tealdi         Area IT - Politecnico Torino
Telefono/Phone : +39-011-0906714 , FAX : +39-011-0906799