[EP-tech] Re: MySQL query to update a column value

John Salter J.Salter at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Sep 20 11:55:18 BST 2012

NOOO! STOP STOP STOP!

An 'update eprint' command will edit the data in the table, not the structure of the table itself.

You need an 'ALTER TABLE' command, something like (this is untested, and off-the-top-of-my-head-and-therefore-possibly-not-right. Anyone else care to comment?):
ALTER TABLE eprint MODIFY num_pieces TEXT;

See this (or an appropriate version for your MySQL version)
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/alter-table.html

I think your initial command would have set the 'type' (eprint type) to 'text' for all your eprints. Eeek!

Cheers,
John