[EP-tech] Re: query regarding compatibility to Zotero

Tim Brody tdb2 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri May 18 16:36:39 BST 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 13:19 +0100, Hugh O Neill wrote:
> Hi there,
>

> I'm trying to get our prints repository (doras.dcu.ie) to be read by a
> citation manager, Zotero.
> It does not seem to be translated.
>

> I enquired from the Zotero team as to whether a translator could be
> developed by them to read eprints. This is their response:
>

> "Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, there is no standard for eprints
> metadata. ......  If there is a standard of any sort, or if you can
> find a link to the default fields that ship with EPrints, we'd be glad
> to support it."
>

> I've looked through the eprints site, but I can't find the relevant
> documentation.
> Could someone point me in the right direction with this?

Zotero are correct that every EPrints install has its own schema -
although most are fairly close to the default configuration. Therefore
reading the raw EPrints data is probably not useful.

What does Zotero look for in the page?

Basic metadata can be extracted from the <meta> tags in the page header.
Or, it could read from one of the Export plugins via the given <link>s
in the header.

(3.3 also sets a <meta generator> which makes it easier for scrapers to
recognise EPrints pages)

--
All the best,
Tim