[EP-tech] Re: Eprints Log Analysis

Tim Brody tdb2 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Dec 11 15:45:03 GMT 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-06 at 12:18 +0200, Lighton Phiri wrote:
> I am trying to make sense of an eprints instance apache log file and
> was wondering if there is an easier way of identifying the following
> items by analysing the 'request line' in the log files
>
> 1. item deposits
> 2. item abstract or full metadata edits/access
> 3. oai-pmh/sword interaction from external sources
>
> As an initial step, I've managed to figure out that to solve items 1&
> 2, I would have to filter out entries resulting from authenticated
> sessions (basically checking if field 4 in log entry is NOT hyphen).
>
> A sample entry from a log file from eprints instance I am analysing is below.
>
> ***** Sample Log Entry *****
> [IP] [IP] - userid [29/Jan/2010:01:13:18 +0200] "GET
> /perl/users/record HTTP/1.1" 200 5531
> "http://pubs.cs.uct.ac.za/perl/users/home" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U;
> Windows NT 6.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7 (.NET
> CLR 3.5.30729)"

Hi,

I don't think you can do this, because all of the requests will go
through the users/home CGI and the log file doesn't store the POST
parameters that would tell you what happened.

The EPrints database itself may give you answers, if you look in the
"history" table and/or the date fields in the 'archive' table - although
without having a live 2.x version to look at I'm unsure what the schema
is!

--
All the best,
Tim