[EP-tech] table vs div

Denis Pitzalis denis.pitzalis at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 20:26:54 BST 2012

Dear all,

I would like to start a discussion about EPrints theming.
I am working on many different installation of EPrints (thanks EPrints
team for all the support you give to me!) and for every installation the
question from the final user is always the same: "it is nice, all those
functionalities and so on, but can you now make it look better?".
Obviously yes, but customizing EPrints in the web2.0 world require lot
of effort because of the hard coded elements: many of them are tables
and many of the tables does not have ids nor classes to identify them.
I would propose for the futures version of EPrints to move to a more div
oriented approach, identifying every item via a class and a unique id,
in the way modern css works.

This will improve the way the final user create custom themes
(http://test.michael-culture.org/ a installation I'm working on, with a
look and feel heavily customized, in alpha test).

I know you guys are working hard in making more substantial changes and
improvements, but I am ready to help for this kind of changes that does
not requires advanced perl knowledge. I am also working in replacing all
the prototype javascript with jquery.

Maybe we can have another branch in your svn to help you guys with those
changes, adding divs, classes, ids and so on.

Just my two cents and thanks again for the great tool you are working on,

Denis